Destined 2 BE...

I finally decided to get on the blog bandwagon, realizing that it wasn't just a bunch of people putting their diaries on the world wide web. Anyhoo, this blog will probably be a mix of sarcasm, co-mo-dey, the ramblings of a pessimistic hopeless romantic (crazy, I know) and the journey of a journalist turned graduate student who wants to enjoy life and make a difference all while eating some beignets. They're the best thing ever! What can I say?

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY, United States

2.22.2006

Depressing, or it is to me at least...

I've been depressed lately, and it has nothing to do with my personal life. It has everything to do with the black community that seems to be content with our people dying and suffering because of sex.

Please somebody tell me why 1 in 2o people in DC (so called chocolate city) are infected with HIV or why 56% of the people infected with HIV in Chicago are black, 78% of people infected with HIV in Maryland are black, and 85% of the people infected with HIV in Atlanta are black women but no one wants to talk about it? This is not something that we can just shrug off. Everyday our people are killing themselves because they either don't know or don't care about protecting themselves and participating in safer sex.

I recently had a conversation with one of friends about this and he noted that I had "hit" him over the head with my statistics plenty times before and that he wasnt interested in being the morality police. I understand this sentiment, really I do. And I don't want him or others to think that I'm "preaching" to them, but how many people do you hear talking about this issue? And believe me HIV is not the only disease we need to be worrying about. The statistics for other stds, especially on college campuses are staggering.

So yes, I may come on strong about this. If I do, right now, I apologize. But I feel like I'm saying the truth in the forest and no one is listening and it just makes me want to scream! It makes me want to scream that we have a president who seems to think that by only advocating abstinence programs, we'll solve this problem, but when was the last time people just didnt do something because they were told not to. This stuff needs to be engrained in our minds and our spirits. If you're going to have sex, go ahead, enjoy yourself... but make sure you're doing everything possible to ensure that you'll be able to enjoy life afterwards.

Even the best orgasm isnt worth that much.

2 Comments:

Blogger T Dot said...

Who's writing columns on their page with a social activism bent? That'd be you. Get'em, Darbs!

Now that has been said...

I felt the same way at HU - they actually had a press release at one point because the Hampton Roads area had one of the highest incidents of herpes, HIV and I think gnnorhea(sp) in the nation. I locked my stuff up tight from those nasty boys.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Darby said...

Awww that's why I love my Thelma!!! Cuz you be brailing all over me...lol.

But really you can blame this column on my research project I'm working on for Gtown. I knew the stats at Howard, but looking at 6 cities just makes it that much more depressing. But I feel you about locking your stuff up... that crap makes you almost wanna go back to the days of the chastity belts.

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home