Destined 2 BE...

I finally decided to get on the blog bandwagon, realizing that it wasn't just a bunch of people putting their diaries on the world wide web. Anyhoo, this blog will probably be a mix of sarcasm, co-mo-dey, the ramblings of a pessimistic hopeless romantic (crazy, I know) and the journey of a journalist turned graduate student who wants to enjoy life and make a difference all while eating some beignets. They're the best thing ever! What can I say?

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY, United States

5.09.2006

DC, MD, VA... and NY???...

So I was taking my usual 11-12 minute treck from the metro this afternoon and I had to have heard at least four cars honk their ugly, roaring horns at me. Now, this isn't something that's unusual. For some reason, it never fails that every time I walk to or from the metro by my apt, I get at least one horn honk. And every time, I think to myself what the hell are you honking at me for? You're not gonna stop on the highway to try to holla! And if you did try to stop on the highway to holla, I would nicely (as much as I could be nice) blow you off, since you know DC, MD, VA dudes can be kind of crazy sometimes.

Well, anyway, I had that same thought today. As the last car started honking his horn from the moment I was in his vision to the point where he finally passed me and made some inaudible, but clearly animalistic comment, I thought to myself, "c'mon man! I have no make-up on, my hair's in a pony, I got jeans on and a Georgetown sweat shirt with some tennis shoes! For real, I know I dont look hot...lol." Well, my new Essence sunglasses and Nine-West tote bag were bangin', but we know thats not what he was checking out.

And then it dawned on me. He wasnt checking ME out either. This man, along with the other fools just wanted to fuck with the little girl walking down the sidewalk and see how much they could make her jump out of her skin by honking that dirty, incessantly annoying horn at her. And even though I never let them see it, my heart does drop to my tummy when it happens, especially because I'm usually in Darby-Land and then all of a sudden... BAMN! Get hit by the horn honk.

Like I said, today was no different in that manner. What was different was that my Darby-Land episode was about me finding a smooth-talking, "up and coming," brooding, but sexy writer type when I inevitably have to move to New York City. You can blame that on this "hot and randy" new book that I'm reading (Hey, Cosmo said it, I just repeat it) called The Accidental Diva by Tia Williams. The book is HOT and Tia's faaabulous. You know it's something when it's actually making me get excited about my soon to be broke in New York days. Hey, something had to finally do it, right? Why not a story about a young, black beauty editor at a popular magazine trying to figure out her life, walk in Manolos like that's normal, and balance falling madly in love and staying up on her shit?

Excerpt from the book:
And just like that, Billie was gone. She would later characterize this chapter of her life with a quote from her favorite diva, Elizabeth Taylor, upon falling in love with Richard Burton: "I love not being Elizabeth Taylor, but being Richard's wife. I would be quite content to be his shadow and live through him." Every ounce of her neurotic, workaholic personality was absorbed into her relationship, which left her job for dead. This was not a good thing.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jameil said...

LMAO at the horn! clearly i always wondered. now it makes sense. matter of fact, i might try honking at some people on the sidewalk just to get a laugh. hahahahahahahaha.

and yeah, clearly you need to stay away from the crazy dudes in dc/va/md. PSYCHO!!

3:36 AM  
Blogger Jarrod said...

I'd honk at you boo...
But on a side note in your previous post you mentioned that Donny Hathaway song. Why is that song the interlude for a Joe Budden mixtape?? So I downloaded the song (LEGALLY IN CASE ANY GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS ARE READING THIS) and it's the best song I think I've ever heard.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Darby said...

lmao @ jameil1922; thats messed up you plan on scaring some innocent people walking down the street...lol

lol @ jarrod; thanx boo, although I'd rather no one did...lol
By the way, I'm waaay too geeked that you love the song, although I'm not quite sure how I feel about it being an interlude on a Joe Budden mixtape... but ok!

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home