Destined 2 BE...

I finally decided to get on the blog bandwagon, realizing that it wasn't just a bunch of people putting their diaries on the world wide web. Anyhoo, this blog will probably be a mix of sarcasm, co-mo-dey, the ramblings of a pessimistic hopeless romantic (crazy, I know) and the journey of a journalist turned graduate student who wants to enjoy life and make a difference all while eating some beignets. They're the best thing ever! What can I say?

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY, United States

6.19.2006

It's been a long time, I shouldnta left you...

So I know it's been awhile since I've posted, as my dear friend Talia repeatedly tells me over aim. This is how the convo usually goes...
Talia: You need to update!
Me: I know, I know

So without further ado, and because a girl can only get fussed at so much on AIM before she does something about it... here ya go! lol

Last week, Friday June 16th to be exact, I went to my first Intro to Hip Hop Dance Class at Joy of Motion. Now for all those who might be thinking, "oh that should be a breeze! You're black, from New Orleans, went to Howard U, love to party and dance, you should have no problem!" let me assure you that you would be COMPLETELY wrong! After the 2 hour class was over, I turned around and officially gave C-Murder my southern card, that's how horrible it was.

First off, we warmed up by doing pushups (I really only did 1, but dont tell the instructor that... I tried to do more, but I think I only succeeded at 1, if that), stretches, lunges, etc... Then he turned on Why You Wanna by T.I. and told us that the first move we would do would be the "chicken head" dance. Now I know the dance, but I can do the chicken head about as well as I can "heal/toe" which means I can't do it at all! Next, we moved to some kind of turn around motion which ended with a slide back motion with attitude (that I didnt have) and the list goes on... The only thing worse would have been to be in Lorrianne's dance class with her screaming out boom, boom kat and me not knowing where the hell I am supposed to be going.

Now, overall I really did enjoy the class, but there are some things that I think need to be noted: 1) there's a reason people dance in the dark, so that they won't see just how badly they suck 2) dancing in front of mirrors when you havent really danced (like not in the club, dancing) since junior high school, not a good look! 3) it's pretty embarrassing when you're the only person in the class who doesnt answer the question "what does hip hop dance mean to you?" Yeah I flaked out, I admit it, it's okay (kinda)

Since the class I have been working on my routine. But I gotta say, it's not going too well. Maybe when we get to the jerking, booty shaking, move one cheek at a time portion of the class, I'll do better. Until then, however, I'll be holding my head down in shame.

3 Comments:

Blogger T Dot said...

One cheek at a time? LMAO. Pure foolishness.

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO! Good show sport! You definitely got back in the game with an entertaining post! Keep em coming!

1:17 PM  
Blogger GreatWhyte said...

I'm hatin - you can move one cheek at a time??? :) But that Loriann thing is what got me: BOOM BOOM KAT!!!!!!!!! She KILLS me with that!

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home