Destined 2 BE...

I finally decided to get on the blog bandwagon, realizing that it wasn't just a bunch of people putting their diaries on the world wide web. Anyhoo, this blog will probably be a mix of sarcasm, co-mo-dey, the ramblings of a pessimistic hopeless romantic (crazy, I know) and the journey of a journalist turned graduate student who wants to enjoy life and make a difference all while eating some beignets. They're the best thing ever! What can I say?

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY, United States

2.26.2006

It is February...

So every February, a couple cable stations and McDonalds play commercials designed to enlighten people about or just celebrate Black History. (Shoot, even BET has been doing a spot this year that highlights a different important person in black history every day.)

Well, my favorite this year is on MTV and when I saw it, it kinda shook me, not because it was something I had never thought of before, but probably because it was being said on a mainstream network and it was just so true.

The commercial features a prominent figure in conscious hip-hop standing on the streets of what looks to be a desolate and empty community (my guess is it was somewhere in New Orleans, because of the way it looked and because of what he said). In the commercial, he says... "Black history is American history. America the beautiful, America the great. The reason America is one of the richest countries in the world today is because it was built for free. Now what will it take to rebuild it?"

That's deep, son. Real deep.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you just say "son?" Since when are you from New York . . . anyway, I just wanted to finally comment on your blog (as now I don't have to be a blogger), and I wanted to agree with you. I really liked that commercial. In fact, Winona called me to ask if i'd seen it. My mom watching MTV??? Now that's deep, son! Keep up the good work, luv ya!

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home