Destined 2 BE...

I finally decided to get on the blog bandwagon, realizing that it wasn't just a bunch of people putting their diaries on the world wide web. Anyhoo, this blog will probably be a mix of sarcasm, co-mo-dey, the ramblings of a pessimistic hopeless romantic (crazy, I know) and the journey of a journalist turned graduate student who wants to enjoy life and make a difference all while eating some beignets. They're the best thing ever! What can I say?

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY, United States

6.26.2007

Out of my lane...

So a bunch of bloggers have decided to interview each other and I figured I would join in on the fun... that is, until I remembered as a stereotypical journalist, I am MUCH more comfortable asking the questions than answering them. Anyways, I asked Jarrod if he would do the honors of asking my first set of questions... and he happily obliged with some very hard thinking questions that took me a little while to answer. But here they finally are! YAY!!! lol

1. What needs to be done, in your mind, to restore New Orleans?

Oh so much! One thing is, I think the situation needs to be looked at differently and from there, we can start to really make some progress. Everyone is looking for a quick fix, and that’s just not going to happen. 80% of the city was underwater for days… you cant expect it to come back immediately. With that being said, we should look at similar to how the nation worked to get out of the depression. Yes we know the war had a lot to do with it, but the programs put into place to stimulate job opportunities and security were just as important. So understanding that this will be a long, probably at least a decade long process, is a must.

We need to invest in our kids. Even if they rebuild the city completely… the crime rate is staggering! I mean, we overtook Gary and are now the murder capital of the nation… and that’s with half of the population we had before! I maintain the belief that the only productive way to stem crime is to give the people committing the crimes alternatives. That means REALLY focusing on education, after school programs, psychotherapy for the varying types of depression being exhibited down there, and other different activities to keep them involved in that and not on the streets.

The next thing, and something that is EXTREMELY important… we need better, sturdier, more reliable, Dutch invented levees. The people need assurances that their houses wont perish as soon as they are rebuilt.

After that, in a perfect world, we would eliminate the infamous corruption that plagues the entire state… and the people, the beautiful people of the city, would do everything else. The will to rebuild is there… the culture is still there… the love for the city is still there; people just need to be given a fighting chance.

2. You've got three wishes. What are you getting? Oh and you can't wish for three more wishes.

a)That I will find my place in my career and in life, so that I’m happy and successful but also so that I serve as a role model for my sisters.
b)That my sisters, nephew, and nieces never doubt themselves or let someone/ something crush their spirits.
c)That the Black diaspora finally recognizes and realizes how great of a positive impact we can make together.

3. What do you miss most about the N.O.?

It’s home, so really I miss the things that most people would miss about their home. I miss the great food, the many places that are significant to my friends and I, the food, the innocence of hanging on the lake (the body of water that flooded the city), Mardi Gras, Essence Fest, the food, Bayou Classic, Jazz Fest, Sugar Bowl, the French Quarter and its history, the French Market, the amazing blended-cultures, and did I mention the food??? Lol... Oh and I miss that N.O. charm guys down there have... I'm a sucker, what can I say? lol

4. Do Southern women really like us Northern guys like that or is it a myth?

Ha! Okay this was a funny one… finally; you were starting to get me a lil depressed there for a second, Jarrod. Um, I personally tend to like guys from the South or Midwest (they think like they’re from the South anyway). But that doesn’t mean that the belief is a myth, and it certainly doesn’t mean I wont fall for a Northern guy… cuz clearly my luck hasn’t been all that great with the status quo. Lol. Now the reason I think that most people end up liking people from their particular region is because its something culturally you can relate to and in African-American culture, when most of us don’t know our real culture, our regions where we were born are an easy way to relate to something. I think people are usually attracted to people outside of their regions at first because of the idea of mystery and intrigue… like, “hmmm, I have heard what they say about them N.O, girls or those New Jersey boys,” but if that’s not backed up by something else, it can fade really easily.

Maybe you can change my mind eh? lol

5. What's the one thing about yourself you hate?

Let’s see… I think the thing I hate most about myself (other than the superficial stuff that most girls would say) is something that can be a good and bad thing… depending on how it’s used. Anyway, all that to say… it would be that over analyze EVERYTHING and I tend to be almost too introspective. I think it’s healthy to analyze your situation and it keeps you grounded to reflect every once in awhile… but there are times that I have 2 and 3 “revelations” in a week… that’s a lot of reflecting…lol. And really it mostly just keeps me analyzing and analyzing and analyzing, without much action being done.

Alright, so there you have it! If anyone else would like to ask me questions, put them in the comment box and I will answer them in the next post.

Smooches!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jarrod said...

It's about damn time! I was starting to think you were ducking me. I ain't mean to depress you...my bad. If you're open to a mind change go ahead and gas up the car, I'll be here.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Darby said...

you're a mess...lol

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home