The Jena 6...
Sometimes it takes a while to come up with something to say about an issue. And let me tell you, I've been pondering this for a couple weeks now. Therefore, I apologize to anyone (whoever actually reads this stuff) who was waiting for the Beauty Post for the month of July, but at the time, I just couldnt think of a something else to write that I felt was worthy of replacing this.
I'm not sure if you've heard about the Jena 6. If you havent, please take the time to open the first link and read the article at the end of this post or follow any of the links placed afterwards. However, if you have, you can kind of understand why I feel how I feel. It's one of those things that just kind of takes you aback, and makes you want to say, see "I told you nothing in this country had changed!" But being the pessimistic optimist that I am, I'm conflicted. No one wants to believe this could happen in 2007... in their beloved state no less. No one wants to believe that as this is happening, the news would be almost completely ignoring it. That this wouldnt be front page news EVERYWHERE in this country. But indeed, it is true. In fact, the first article I saw speaking about was from the BBC.
Anyway, when I first saw it, I sent to my mom because I wanted to know if the Times Picayune or any of the local news stations in New Orleans were covering it. Sadly, she said no. That I was the second person to send her an email about it, but that no local news had said anything. And as she explained how disgusted she was, she began to remember how her 2 older brothers helped integrate a middle school in New Orleans. One of my uncles is 48 and the other would be 50. This is not a long time ago folks. She told me about the things they used to say to one of my uncles because he was of a darker complexion and the things they would say to the other one because he was lighter with green eyes. Both were uncomprehensible. Hate to me is uncomprehensible. And apparently, it still lives.
http://indybay.org/newsitems/2007/07/14/18435382.php
http://www.counterpunch.org/flaherty05092007.html
http://www.colorofchange.org/
I'm not sure if you've heard about the Jena 6. If you havent, please take the time to open the first link and read the article at the end of this post or follow any of the links placed afterwards. However, if you have, you can kind of understand why I feel how I feel. It's one of those things that just kind of takes you aback, and makes you want to say, see "I told you nothing in this country had changed!" But being the pessimistic optimist that I am, I'm conflicted. No one wants to believe this could happen in 2007... in their beloved state no less. No one wants to believe that as this is happening, the news would be almost completely ignoring it. That this wouldnt be front page news EVERYWHERE in this country. But indeed, it is true. In fact, the first article I saw speaking about was from the BBC.
Anyway, when I first saw it, I sent to my mom because I wanted to know if the Times Picayune or any of the local news stations in New Orleans were covering it. Sadly, she said no. That I was the second person to send her an email about it, but that no local news had said anything. And as she explained how disgusted she was, she began to remember how her 2 older brothers helped integrate a middle school in New Orleans. One of my uncles is 48 and the other would be 50. This is not a long time ago folks. She told me about the things they used to say to one of my uncles because he was of a darker complexion and the things they would say to the other one because he was lighter with green eyes. Both were uncomprehensible. Hate to me is uncomprehensible. And apparently, it still lives.
http://indybay.org/newsitems/2007/07/14/18435382.php
http://www.counterpunch.org/flaherty05092007.html
http://www.colorofchange.org/


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home