Snippets from a teen program...
With the summer session of the teen program I work at almost over, I figured it was time to post some memorable statements made by the kids...
1. 14 yr old girl: "I just found out my ex-boyfriend has AIDS."
me: "Do you know if it's HIV or full blown AIDS?"
girl: "It's AIDS. He was in jail with my cousin and they got their medical reports back and his said he has AIDS."
me: "Wow, that must be kinda crazy for you."
girl: "Kinda, but not really. My aunt has AIDS too. I help to change her diaper sometimes."
2. 15 yr old boy with the prayer hands tattoo on his arm: "My role model is B.G."
counselor: "The one who does the crack???"
3. 14 yr old girl: "My favorite part in that movie is when the guy makes the woman believe they're about to have sex. He bends her over and shoots her in the head. That was so funny to me!"
me: "That's not funny! He killed her."
girl:"I know, but he really had her believing she was gonna get some."
me: "So, it doesnt bother you at all that the movie's based on a true story?"
4. 16 yr old boy talking about me: "Man, she's from the dirty... don't mess with her."
5. 17 yr old girl: "Can we stop doing all this analyzing of our music and stuff, because it's making me not want to listen to my favorite songs anymore and I don't like that."
6. 15 yr old girl: "You know who can't sing? Mariah Carey. She's the worst!"
me, shaking my head: "You're kidding me, right?"
girl: "No. Aaliyah was so much better than Mariah could ever be."
me: "Oh my goodness."
7. 15 yr old boy: "5th street and 7th street have beef, but 6th street kinda gets along with everyone. I'm from 6th street, but this guy thought I was from 7th street and was about to try and fight me until he realized I was from 6th street."
14 yr old boy: "So, I guess you can't move from one street to the other over there, right?"
15 yr old: "Nope, it wouldnt be wise."
counselor: "How do blocks have beef with each other? This is all in like a 2 mile radius!"
8. 15 yr old girl talking about the grammar workshop: "We know all this stuff already. Why do we have to do this? I feel like I'm in summer school."
me: "You know all this stuff, but when I asked you to correct a sentence that needed at least 20 corrections, you said nothing was wrong with it. I don't think so. You may have taken the class already, but you certainly can't say you know this stuff already."
9. 17 yr old girl looking through my ring tones: "Oh hold on a second, I think I just learned a different side of Darby! lol"
10. 15 yr old boy: "Shit!"
me: "Okay, you know what happens when you curse."
boy: "Aww man, shit!"
me: "You just did it again!"
boy: "Damn! Aww I did it again, why can't I stop?!"
1. 14 yr old girl: "I just found out my ex-boyfriend has AIDS."
me: "Do you know if it's HIV or full blown AIDS?"
girl: "It's AIDS. He was in jail with my cousin and they got their medical reports back and his said he has AIDS."
me: "Wow, that must be kinda crazy for you."
girl: "Kinda, but not really. My aunt has AIDS too. I help to change her diaper sometimes."
2. 15 yr old boy with the prayer hands tattoo on his arm: "My role model is B.G."
counselor: "The one who does the crack???"
3. 14 yr old girl: "My favorite part in that movie is when the guy makes the woman believe they're about to have sex. He bends her over and shoots her in the head. That was so funny to me!"
me: "That's not funny! He killed her."
girl:"I know, but he really had her believing she was gonna get some."
me: "So, it doesnt bother you at all that the movie's based on a true story?"
4. 16 yr old boy talking about me: "Man, she's from the dirty... don't mess with her."
5. 17 yr old girl: "Can we stop doing all this analyzing of our music and stuff, because it's making me not want to listen to my favorite songs anymore and I don't like that."
6. 15 yr old girl: "You know who can't sing? Mariah Carey. She's the worst!"
me, shaking my head: "You're kidding me, right?"
girl: "No. Aaliyah was so much better than Mariah could ever be."
me: "Oh my goodness."
7. 15 yr old boy: "5th street and 7th street have beef, but 6th street kinda gets along with everyone. I'm from 6th street, but this guy thought I was from 7th street and was about to try and fight me until he realized I was from 6th street."
14 yr old boy: "So, I guess you can't move from one street to the other over there, right?"
15 yr old: "Nope, it wouldnt be wise."
counselor: "How do blocks have beef with each other? This is all in like a 2 mile radius!"
8. 15 yr old girl talking about the grammar workshop: "We know all this stuff already. Why do we have to do this? I feel like I'm in summer school."
me: "You know all this stuff, but when I asked you to correct a sentence that needed at least 20 corrections, you said nothing was wrong with it. I don't think so. You may have taken the class already, but you certainly can't say you know this stuff already."
9. 17 yr old girl looking through my ring tones: "Oh hold on a second, I think I just learned a different side of Darby! lol"
10. 15 yr old boy: "Shit!"
me: "Okay, you know what happens when you curse."
boy: "Aww man, shit!"
me: "You just did it again!"
boy: "Damn! Aww I did it again, why can't I stop?!"


5 Comments:
Girl, I needed that as I'm up way past my bedtime working on this RFP . . . vacation is only 2 days away . . . Think good thoughts
"I change her diaper sometimes?" Man, it tool me ten minutes to get past that one! Sounds like you're putting in some good, much-needed work with those kids - congrats to you :)
Thanks girl, it's crazy to find out what some of these kids have lived through and seen, but hopefully they're getting something out of working with me.
And Erika, I'm thinking good thoughts for you...
What happens when they curse?
And all I'm going to say about this post: damn DC/Maryland hoodrat kids...
Everytime they curse or say something offensive, we dock their pay (since they are getting paid to be in the summer program).
Post a Comment
<< Home