The Numbers Game...

Today was an interesting day. Professionally (but we'll get to that at another time) and personally (the point of this blog). So yeah, today... I got up, feeling fresh, dressed up, all "I'm not trying too hard, I'm just naturally this cute" with some skinny jeans, a white button down shirt, grey blazer, and topped with my fly ass red BCBG heels. Walked onto the metro... scrolled through my blackberry, prepared in my mind for all I had to do today... and was hit on twice.
Now when I say hit on, I dont mean in the typical metro kinda way. Both guys, while using different methods, were very nice and very respectful. Both tried to use a little humor, but were also very direct... they wanted my number, to get to know me, so we could go on a date. To both I responded that I had a boyfriend already, but I was flattered by their offer. (and we all know by this point, I am still single, despite my tendency to find/ date people who seem great at first and then not so much after a couple weeks...lol)
So anyway, as I made my way back to work, I started thinking about the guys and why I told them both no. It wasnt because I dont like nice guys. Despite that myth that keeps being perpetuated that women only like bad guys, my type is actually "the nice guy" or what C-Murder likes to deem "the guy who's perfect on paper, but not quite in reality." It wasnt because they were ugly. Neither one was particularly sexy, but I didnt run home screaming that IT was trying to follow me around the subway either. So why was it that I didnt take them up on their offer?
I thought and thought and then emailed C-Murder a question (via crackberry). Am I ungrateful? Should I just be willing to date any decent looking guy who is nice to me since clearly times are desperate for black women and I haven't exactly had the best of luck dating the guys who are my type? I mean really, I think it goes back to the law of numbers thing, if I think I'm a 7, but everyone else thinks I'm a 5, then wouldn't I have better luck dating 4s and 5s, than trying to date 7s and 8s.
And really, I think everyone starts to have feelings like that at some point (if your dating luck hasnt been good to you, I mean)... regardless of where you put yourself on the 1 to 10 scale. At some point, you start to wonder if you should settle for someone who doesnt draw you in, doesnt ignite sparks in you from the moment you meet, and doesnt keep a smile on your face just by looking at them. You start to wonder if thats a fantasy and if you should be settling for the nice guy or girl who thought you were cute enough to step to.
Well, obviously, you know my answer to those... as I chose not to entertain either guy. For some reason, me and my red shoes are still holding onto the belief that you really do know when its the right person and no one else can tell you otherwise. I guess the hopeless romantic took over today and left the pessimistic journalist behind... dont worry, she'll be back tomorrow probably!
:)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home