Destined 2 BE...

I finally decided to get on the blog bandwagon, realizing that it wasn't just a bunch of people putting their diaries on the world wide web. Anyhoo, this blog will probably be a mix of sarcasm, co-mo-dey, the ramblings of a pessimistic hopeless romantic (crazy, I know) and the journey of a journalist turned graduate student who wants to enjoy life and make a difference all while eating some beignets. They're the best thing ever! What can I say?

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY, United States

12.29.2007

oh the Wonderful time of Christmas...


So I'm home right now. And trust me, it has been an experience.

The thing about coming home is that its such a mixture of emotions. I'm sure most of you can agree. You have the intense joy of being with your family, playing with the babies, getting home cooked food (that you didnt have to cook) and sleeping in your old bed. You end up in conversations like this one I had with my little cousin who's 6 and normally sees me in DC.

Carlie: Who's your mommy?
me: My mommy is Antie Sheryl.
Carlie: Nah uh. Tee Sheryl's not your mommy.
Me: Yes she is.
Carlie: Nah uh.
Me: Uh huh.
Carlie: Nope, she's Marley and Brittany's mommy.
me: I know, but she's my mommy too. Marley and Brittany are my sisters.

Carlie: No, you live far away in DC, by Baltimore, so Tee Sheryl can't be your mommy.
Me: Well, she is.
Carlie: Hmmm, I'll be back.

5 minutes later...

Carlie: I know who you are, Darby. Why didnt you say so? Your daddy is Uncle Glen.
Me: Yep, he sure is.
Carlie: See, I knew who you were. You should have said something before.

These are the kind of conversations you can only get when you come home. Conversations that put big fat geeky smiles on your face, the way only being confronted with the blunt innocense of a child can do. But... there's that other side of being home.


For me its a little more complicated this year. Before everything, Montana and I had talked about Christmases and meeting family members, so there are definitely moments when I'm just sad out of nowhere because I miss him and I want to share my favorite holiday with him.

And then luckily, I'm happy all over again, seeing old friends at reunions and watching family members (especially the babies) open their Christmas presents, feeling at home at my church, seeing my two preggo girls and their bellies growing everyday, going to the movies, and (shocking sigh) watching bootleg movies, and eating the most AMAZING food.

And the cycle continues... but even still, its something about being home thats refreshing. It's good for the soul, and its even better when it lasts just long enough for you to miss it.


Captions. 1st pic: Me, Marley, Dad, and Brittany
2nd pic: Carlie and Marley
3rd pic: Amber (preggo #1) and Brittany
4th pic: Me and Joey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home