Destined 2 BE...

I finally decided to get on the blog bandwagon, realizing that it wasn't just a bunch of people putting their diaries on the world wide web. Anyhoo, this blog will probably be a mix of sarcasm, co-mo-dey, the ramblings of a pessimistic hopeless romantic (crazy, I know) and the journey of a journalist turned graduate student who wants to enjoy life and make a difference all while eating some beignets. They're the best thing ever! What can I say?

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY, United States

1.09.2008

I love the 90s...


"Oh c'mon!" minutes pass. "okay, I can see that." and then again, "Oh c'mon! There?"

That was me over and over again, watching tv a couple weeks ago. Was I watching a football or basketball game? No, not at all. Was I even watching anything slightly competitive. Oh you'd be wrong again if you said yes to that one. I was sitting in my room watching Vh1's "100 best songs of the 90s"competing with the tv about who should and shouldnt be on the countdown. Really, there werent many songs they mentioned that I didnt think deserved to be on the show, I just had some gripes about the order.


Fugees Killing Me Softly... sure it should be on there, but not as high as it was. It didnt even crack the top 40! Neither did such classics as Tupac "California Love" and my all time favorite, I shouldnt have been listening to this song of the 90s... BBD "Poison."

So what did make crack the top 40? Oh lets see, Spice Girls "If you wanna be my lover," Green Day "Time of your life" and the ever present Hanson "Mmmm bop." Now, I'm no hater. All these songs certainly deserve nods, but who can deny that Jodeci should have been in the top 10? And if you're going to put Blackstreet on the countdown, dont put them on there with No Diggity! Give me some "Before I let you go" or even the song with Janet Jackson. Heck, I'd even take "Booty Call" as an option. lol

Overall however, the show did what it was supposed to do. Make you remember those great songs you listened to back then. I just think the list would have been a little different if done by my friends... I mean, I didnt watch the whole thing, but I dont remember seeing a nod to any of R Kelly's 12 play and this was before we knew he was a chester.

So I thought to myself, self... what would be your top 5 songs since you want to be so critical of theirs? And this is the humble list I came up with just off the top of my head. I know I've missed someone completely influential to the state of America... but alas, so did VH1 and they're getting paid for their list. lol

5. Backstreet's Back (Backstreet Boys)... hey what can I say? I loved them!
4. Poison (BBD)... if you didnt love the song before then, how could you not after the Fresh Prince episode?
3. End of the Road (Boyz II Men)... this could have been any of their songs from that era, but I really liked Mike's breakdown-talk-singy part on this one.
2. All Eyes on Me (Tupac)... my fav rapper had to get a nod here of course
1. Creep (TLC)... who didnt do that dance ALL THE TIME when it came out?

Oh man, now I can see how this list was so hard! I want more numbers... those songs are great, but they cant even begin to narrow it down. Eeek!

What would your top 5 look like???

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the 90's was a great time for music!!

#1 - "that thing," lauryn hill

#2 - "on and on," erykah badu

#3 - "big poppa," biggie smalls

#4 - "brown sugar," d'angelo

#5 - the entire "my life" cd, mary muthafreakin' j. blige

actually, all five of the artists i listed had slammin' albums out in the 90s.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Darby said...

Oh I forgot about every single one of these songs! I want my list to be longer so I can include these too! lol

10:18 PM  
Blogger kamille said...

here you go darby, in no particular order ...

"All I Ask of You" - Raphael Saadiq
(From the Higher Learning Soundtrack)

"Elevators (Me & You)" - OutKast

"Weak" - SWV

"And If I Ever Fall In Love" - Shai

"Electric Relaxation" - A Tribe Called Quest

Those are my JAMS!!! (or JAWNTS <-- if I was still in D.C. :)

7:29 PM  
Blogger Darby said...

ooooh those were good too!

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home