Destined 2 BE...

I finally decided to get on the blog bandwagon, realizing that it wasn't just a bunch of people putting their diaries on the world wide web. Anyhoo, this blog will probably be a mix of sarcasm, co-mo-dey, the ramblings of a pessimistic hopeless romantic (crazy, I know) and the journey of a journalist turned graduate student who wants to enjoy life and make a difference all while eating some beignets. They're the best thing ever! What can I say?

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY, United States

11.02.2006

Happily Ever After...



Sooo, a couple days ago, I was sitting in my presidential electoral politics class and we were discussing the fact that southern women overwhelmingly voted for Bush in 2004, in direct contrast to non-southern women. The thing is, contrary to popular belief, these were not soccer moms turned security moms... these were women my age, young women without children who voted for Bush! So there we sat in class trying to figure out what the differences were between southern and non-southern women as far as identity and what issues mattered most to them.

Well, go figure... it turned out that I was not only the only black girl in the class, but also the only southern woman in the class... so in unison, everyone looked to me for an answer. And honestly, I was stuck! I sat there, really going over in my head, trying to think of something to say that would be profound, not a generalization, and give southern women some credit... and the best I could come up with was, "well, I think maybe we're more old-fashioned and a little more traditional in mindset in the sense that we care about careers but it might be more important to establish family first, than to be this independent woman doing her thang!"

And then it struck me, as much as I love my southern background and I embrace my old fashioned ideas like a woman should know how to cook, a man should open the door and walk on the outside of the sidewalk or street, I'm not really a southern woman in the truest sense anymore... or at least not in sticking with the definition I gave the class. Now, this is SOOO not to say that there are no southern women who are career ambitious or anything like that, but when I look at my friends who stayed home or stayed in the south when going to college, most of them are either engaged or married and the ones that aren't, are in very serious committed relationships, so really, it's only a matter of time.

But when I look at my girls up here (and this means more than just DC), I dont see the same thing. I see beautiful women who would be great catches for any guy, but they have no man or the man they have isnt worth shit! (sorry girls) What DO they have? Great careers or great ambitions for careers... they're on track to being the shit in whatever industry they are in (non-profit, business, communications... you name it) and they're happy... to a certain extent.

They're happy because they're doing what they went to school for or they're working their way through this really complicated field, but at the same time, when it gets real late, maybe they've had a couple drinks or it's girls' night and time to be real honest and truthful, you can see the sadness... because, really everyone wants that someone to share in the success with them. If you dont have that, then what's it worth... I mean, really??? Now granted, we're not 40 year old women who havent found a man... we're under 25 and still working on ourselves. But when I can look at the disparity between my friends down south who were happily married at 22 and who are working on their first kid now... it kinda makes you wonder, who has it right?

Or more importantly, can you not have both? In this day and age, how likely is it to be a succesful woman in your career and have a man that you want to give your all to right by your side? I mean, sure we can all name examples, but isnt that the point... when you can name them, that means it stands out... these women have become the exception... not the rule.

Just a little something I've been thinking about...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok . . . I see you getting your Carrie
Bradshaw on :)

6:19 PM  
Blogger T Dot said...

Very interesting, Louise.

My thoughts? I think you can have it all. But since you're asking for more, it takes longer for you to find what you want. When looking for a man to encourage and support a woman's career all the while still treating her like the queen she is supposed to be treated as, you have to weed through those guys who want you barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen. You have to dig deeper to get what you want - to find someone that understands that you can love someone and have ambitions for yourself at the same time.

So, yes, while I might lash out at the male gender over a smooth mojito, I know that I'm just weeding through the knuckleheads right now and that eventually, I'll dig deep enough to find the right guy for me. One who doesn't mind his woman bringing home some bacon - and is willing to fry it up when she is too tired from working. It's not too much to ask. We deserve it.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home