Destined 2 BE...

I finally decided to get on the blog bandwagon, realizing that it wasn't just a bunch of people putting their diaries on the world wide web. Anyhoo, this blog will probably be a mix of sarcasm, co-mo-dey, the ramblings of a pessimistic hopeless romantic (crazy, I know) and the journey of a journalist turned graduate student who wants to enjoy life and make a difference all while eating some beignets. They're the best thing ever! What can I say?

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY, United States

2.07.2008

Be AWARE!!!



Today is National Black HIV/Aids Awareness Day, "a national mobilization effort designed to encourage black people to get educated, get tested, get treated, and get involved with HIV/AIDS, as it continues to devastate black communities." The day was started by the CDC and the Strategic Leadership Council.

I'm pretty sure by now we all recognize the importance of being aware of how this disease has and continues to affect our communities. Living in DC, I'm constantly reminded of the alarming statistics, so much so that I chose to do my graduate school thesis on the Perceptions of HIV/Aids in the Black Community by the Black community. What I found was that even though we all know the facts, people are still easily led to believe that this can't happen to them or that its a disease strictly within the gay and "down low" communities.

In my focus groups, I had people from 2 specific cities (DC, Atlanta, and Detroit) sit around and give their opinions on different aspects concerning the disease and the Black community. Then, I passed around information and statistics about their specific neighborhoods, gave them a chance to read it, and then had them discuss how or if that information affected what they first believed. Sometimes it did. Sometimes it didnt. But overwhelmingly people just didnt realize how prevalent it is.

That's why its so important to arm yourself with all the information concerning this disease, but also the numerous other sexually transmitted infections. Unfortunately, in this case... what you dont know, can definitely hurt you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home