It Needs to be Said...
This post right here.... dude/whoadie/shawty/cuz/son, this post right here, is going to be one of the hardest posts I've ever done!!!! (shout out to Katt Williams' HBO special... this stuff right here...!)
Okay, so on to the nitty gritty. Over the past few weeks I've noticed something very interesting on the different black celebrity blogs that I read... they've all been showing pictures and stuff of FAMU's homecoming, Morgan State's Homecoming, CAU's Homecoming, and on and on and on. And you know who's missing from that... Howard University's Homecoming! Know why that is?! Because Howard's homecoming (oh man, this is going to hurt!) has become a mockery, a sham of its legacy (whoo, there I said it).
I mean, c'mon! Ludacris, Ne-yo, Remy Martinez and more were in town the weekend of Howard's homecoming and you know where they were? Chilling at Bowie's homecoming.... Bowie's homecoming!!!!?!! The man who shouted out Howard's homecoming in his song (making sure I don't miss the homecoming at Howard) missed it because he was at Bowie's homecoming! And who did we have to replace them? Baby Sham, Nina Sky, Brooke Valentine, and Monica... from what I hear, the best performance at yard fest was Brandon Hines (feat at times Trey Songz) and he was the very first performance!!! (and a home school favorite of course).
So anyway, all this to say... It's time for Howard to get it's stuff together. No, homecoming is not all about the celebrities that come to the school, but it's a reflection on the homecoming that there were no big names. We're not a small town school... we are the Mecca, the Capstone of Black Education and just like in everything else Howard does... we need to stop relying on our legacies and start building some of our own.
(damn, that was a hard post!)
UPDATE: I must note that it has been said that Vizion, in fact, was the best performance at Yardfest. I felt this correction needed to be made clear.
Okay, so on to the nitty gritty. Over the past few weeks I've noticed something very interesting on the different black celebrity blogs that I read... they've all been showing pictures and stuff of FAMU's homecoming, Morgan State's Homecoming, CAU's Homecoming, and on and on and on. And you know who's missing from that... Howard University's Homecoming! Know why that is?! Because Howard's homecoming (oh man, this is going to hurt!) has become a mockery, a sham of its legacy (whoo, there I said it).
I mean, c'mon! Ludacris, Ne-yo, Remy Martinez and more were in town the weekend of Howard's homecoming and you know where they were? Chilling at Bowie's homecoming.... Bowie's homecoming!!!!?!! The man who shouted out Howard's homecoming in his song (making sure I don't miss the homecoming at Howard) missed it because he was at Bowie's homecoming! And who did we have to replace them? Baby Sham, Nina Sky, Brooke Valentine, and Monica... from what I hear, the best performance at yard fest was Brandon Hines (feat at times Trey Songz) and he was the very first performance!!! (and a home school favorite of course).
So anyway, all this to say... It's time for Howard to get it's stuff together. No, homecoming is not all about the celebrities that come to the school, but it's a reflection on the homecoming that there were no big names. We're not a small town school... we are the Mecca, the Capstone of Black Education and just like in everything else Howard does... we need to stop relying on our legacies and start building some of our own.
(damn, that was a hard post!)
UPDATE: I must note that it has been said that Vizion, in fact, was the best performance at Yardfest. I felt this correction needed to be made clear.


1 Comments:
I'm mad late, but...
Vizion was the best part of Yardfest.
Get it right, Darbs. Lol.
Post a Comment
<< Home